I know I'm going to get shit for writing this from Scotty P, because when we were all having the conversation and I laughed I got smacked on the leg for encouraging Abi. But how can I not... that's why we have children. And tissue boxes for the moments our children feel old or ancient.
On Monday, Abi was home sick. She slept just about all day until Scotty P came home. When he got home she curled into his lap and was staring at him. She said, "Daddy, you have white hair on your head." So we talked about how it's because our children drive us so crazy we get white hair. She didn't buy it, but we tried.
A few minutes later she continued with, "OMG, it's all over your beard. Daddy! I don't want you to be a grandpa!" This is the moment when you turn away and die laughing, but fail miserably...As I try to contain myself, Abi becomes worried about this discovery of hers. We tried to explain to her that, white hair doesn't make someone a grandpa, it would be when she (or the other two) had a baby.
No matter how we explained the cycle of life and stages of Child --> Dad --> Grandpa, she was adamant about Scotty P being a grandpa already.
At least when I pointed out that I had white hairs she didn't call me a Grandma. She shrugged it off and refocused back to Scotty P.
One day she is going to have white hairs and we will remember to freak out and call her a Grandma.
No comments:
Post a Comment